As we enter the new academic year, we have trust that all members of the campus will want to protect each other by adhering to basic public health and campus guidelines. To this end, all students who come onto campus or other UC Berkeley property must abide by the pandemic mitigation measures imposed in order to help us reduce the spread of COVID-19 at UC Berkeley. Should you choose not to abide by these regulations, you will be denied access to on-campus buildings and services when they are open. Failure to comply with these regulations may be a violation of the UC Berkeley Code of Student Conduct and result in disciplinary measures. Faculty and staff are required to abide by similar regulations. We are requesting that you execute this pledge to affirm that you understand the expectations that we share of each other. If you have questions, please contact the Dean of Students Office.
As a Berkeley student and member of the community:
1. I will check my temperature daily and stay home if my temperature is higher than 100.4 degrees.
2. I will stay home if I have any of the following symptoms:
- Chills or shivers
- Muscle pains or aches (not due to exercise)
- Cough (worse than usual if you have a daily cough)
- Shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- Headache (worse than usual if you have regular headaches)
- Scratchy or painful sore throat
- New loss of taste and smell
- Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea/stomach cramps
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Sneezing, runny nose, or congestion (worse than usual if this is common for you)
- Fatigue that is unusual or more severe than normal
- Unusually red or painful red or painful eyes
- A member of my household has a confirmed COVID-19 infection, I have been in close contact with someone who has a confirmed COVID-19 infection or contract tracers otherwise advise me to stay home.
3. I will practice good hand-washing hygiene (washing after touching my eyes, nose or mouth; washing after blowing my nose, or sneezing or coughing into my hand; washing after touching contaminated surfaces; washing after using a disinfectant product; washing before preparing food or eating and after) which means washing frequently and for 20 seconds with soap and water, and utilizing hand sanitizer if hand washing facilities are not available.
4. When I am on campus, I will keep my personal items (e.g., cell phones, other electronics) and personal work and living spaces clean. I will use disinfectant wipes that are provided to wipe down shared desks, lab equipment, and other shared objects and surfaces before use.
5. I will practice physical/social distancing (6 ft.) when I am outside of my residence.
6. I will wear a face covering at all times, both inside and outside, when on University property. For students living in campus residence halls, this does not apply while eating or drinking, showering, and brushing teeth or when alone in my room. This may also not apply to me if an accommodation is granted by the University for medical reasons or if otherwise allowed by explicit campus guidelines.
7. If I am a leader or member of a Student Organization, I will not host or attend any in-person meetings or activities on or off campus pursuant to the Berkeley Campus Code of Student Conduct, 102.28 Temporary Provisions, Misconduct Related to COVID-19.
8. If required, I will take any campus COVID-19 prevention trainings and take the actions described to reduce the spread of the virus.
I understand the University will, in addition to its standard cleaning practices, take the following health and safety measures:
- Perform thorough cleaning and frequent disinfecting of common areas.
- Provide resources to promote personal hygiene including hand soap, alcohol-based hand sanitizers, and disposable towels.
- Check ventilation for proper airflow to reduce the possibility of airborne transmission of the virus.
- Manage buildings to reduce density and facilitate physical distancing.
I acknowledge these requirements and understand that my failure to live by these requirements could lead to my being denied access to on campus buildings and services, including classes. I understand failure to comply with the guidelines above may be a violation of the UC Berkeley Code of Student Conduct and result in disciplinary measures.